Cervical spondylosis, also known as cervical osteoarthritis. It is a degenerative condition that affects the bones, joints, and discs in the neck. It is a common condition that occurs as people age, and it can cause neck pain, stiffness, and headaches.
According to Ayurvedic ideology, Cervical spondylosis is called as ‘Greeva Graham’. It is a condition caused by a vitiation of the Vata Dosha, which leads to degeneration of the cervical vertebrae and discs. This degeneration can cause compression of the nerves and blood vessels in the neck.
Cervical Spondylosis Treatment in Ayurveda aims to restore the balance of the Vata Dosha and improve the health of the cervical spine using natural remedies.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
- Constipation: Due to constipation, the toxins accumulate and it has a direct impact on the aggravation of Cervical Spondylosis. It aggravates Vata Dosha and the formation of gas which indirectly increase the pain in the neck.
- Age: Cervical spondylosis is more common in elderly people, as the spine undergoes a natural degeneration process over time.
- Poor posture: Poor posture over a prolonged period can lead to increased pressure on the cervical spine and its discs.
- Repetitive motion: Repeatedly performing certain movements, such as lifting or twisting, can lead to neck pain.
- Injury: Trauma to the cervical spine, such as a fall or accident, can lead to degeneration, or wear and tear in the cervical spine which ultimately causes stiffness.
- Smoking: Smoking can increase the risk of cervical spondylosis, as it can lead to the degeneration of spinal discs.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
The symptoms of cervical spondylosis are as follows:
- Neck pain: This is the most common symptom of cervical spondylosis. It can be mild or severe and might worsen with movement.
- Stiffness: Stiffness in the neck and shoulders is another common symptom. It can make it difficult to move the head and neck.
- Numbness or tingling sensation: Numbness or tingling sensation in the arms, hands, or fingers can occur due to nerve compression.
- Headaches: Headaches, particularly at the base of the skull, may occur due to muscle tension and nerve compression.
- Dizziness: Dizziness may occur due to nerve compression and reduced blood flow to the brain.
- Weakness: Weakness in the arms, hands, or fingers may occur due to nerve compression.
- Loss of balance: Loss of balance might occur due to reduced mobility and nerve compression.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cervical Spondylosis
Ayurveda, the traditional Indian system of medicine, offers various remedies and therapies such as herbs, Panchakarma therapy, and Yoga asanas for the treatment of cervical spondylosis. Here are some Ayurvedic treatments that can be helpful which are as follows:
Here are some of the excellent Ayurvedic herbs that are useful in the treatment of cervical spondylosis which are as follows:
- Ashwagandha(Withania somnifera): It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with Cervical spondylosis. It improves muscle strength and reduces stress and anxiety.
- Guggulu(Commiphora wightii): This resin has anti-inflammatory properties and is mostly used to treat joint pain and inflammation. It can also help improve circulation and reduce stiffness in the neck and shoulders.
- Shallaki(Boswellia Serrata): It has anti-inflammatory properties and is used to treat joint pain and inflammation. It can help reduce swelling and improve mobility in the neck.
- Brahmi(Bacopa monnieri): It has the ability to improve cognitive function and reduce stress and anxiety. It can also help improve blood flow to the neck and shoulders, which can promote healing.
- Ajmoda (Apium Graveolens): It has anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties which help in relieving pain as well as inflammation.
Panchakarma therapy removes toxins from the body, reduces inflammation, and improves overall health.
- Abhyanga: It is an ayurvedic art of massage with a healing oil that helps relax the muscles and reduce pain and inflammation in the neck and shoulders.
- Shirodhara: This involves pouring warm herbal oil over the forehead in a continuation, which can help promote relaxation and reduce stress and tension.
- Basti: It is an enema that helps eliminate toxins from the body and reduces inflammation in the neck.
- Nasya: It involves administering herbal oils, and powders through the nostrils, which can help clear the sinuses and reduce congestion in the head and neck.
- Pinda Sweda: It is a massage therapy using herbal boluses that can help reduce pain and inflammation in the neck and shoulders.
- Shiro basti: This is a therapy in which warm oil is poured into a cap placed on the head, which can help improve circulation and reduce pain and inflammation in the neck and shoulders.
Yoga asana and meditation
- Yoga can be an effective way to manage the symptoms of cervical spondylosis, as it can help improve flexibility and mobility in the neck and shoulders, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote relaxation. Here are some yoga asanas that may be helpful for people with cervical spondylosis:
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): This pose strengthens the spine and expands the chest. It also helps in relieving the pain of sciatica.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): This yoga asana stretches and stimulates the neck. Thus, it is an effective yoga asana in relieving the pain in the neck.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half-Spinal Twist): This yoga asana energizes the spine and stretches the neck and shoulder.
Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose):
- This yoga asana stretches the neck and back. It improves the flow of blood to the head, thus relieving headaches also.
How is Dr. Sharda Ayurveda helping patients Suffering from Cervical Spondylosis?
Dr.Sharda Ayurveda provides herbal treatment to patients which is completely chemical-free and effective. They have an expert team of doctors who examine patients individually and give treatment to every patient according to their prakriti.
They prescribe a diet chart along with herbal medications and some dietary precautions. For instance, they advise certain foods to avoid and include in your diet according to the disease and individuality of the patient. Their treatment is authentic as they assess the root cause of cervical spondylosis and treat it accordingly.
In a nutshell, Ayurveda is a completely safe and excellent method of treatment for patients who are suffering from cervical spondylosis. Regular practice of yoga asanas, meditation, and a balanced diet improves overall health. This treatment emphasizes not only the disease but also nourishes the body and keeps the body disease free.